Friends of LimmudBoston 2016
Thank you to all the Friends and Supporters of LimmudBoston 2016! Without your generous support, LimmudBoston would not exist.
Register to become a Friend of LimmudBoston 2016 here.
A wonderful way to support our work is to become a Friend of LimmudBoston. Find out more here.
Values and Principles of Limmud International
Core Value: Learning
- Learning embraces personal development, knowledge and skills
- Learning changes people, inspires action and opens new worlds
- There are many inspirations that can offer opportunities for learning
- Everyone can be a teacher and everyone should be a student
- We encourage the creation of a learning environment in which people are able to reflect and grow
Core Value: Community & Mutual Responsibility
- Limmud is a community of learning
- We can achieve more together than we can individually
- We both gain and should give something back to the Jewish and the wider community
Core Value: Expanding Jewish Horizons
- Limmud strives to create collective and communal experiences, through which we strengthen and develop our Jewish identity
Core Value: Empowerment
- We inspire people to be ambitious about their contribution
- We challenge people and trust them to rise to that challenge
- We see the potential of individuals and communities, and support their development
- We empower people to make choices, and provide the information to make informed choices
Core Value: Participation
- Volunteerism is a key feature of almost everything we do
- We are all responsible for each other and for the communities we create, everyone has an important contribution to make
- We encourage participants to take an active part in all we do
Core Value: Diversity
- We value diversity in all that we do
- We value choice in form, content and style
- We believe in the richness of our diverse community and create cross-communal and cross-generational experiences
- We value accessibility, and aim to be accessible to all
- We encourage people not to stereotype others
Core Value: Enabling connections to be made
- We aim to create opportunities for communities and individuals to connect
- We recognise the strength of providing a space where spiritual, emotional and intellectual connections are made
Limmud’s Principles: Commitment to Respect
- Limmud expects all participants to be respectful of one another, and to recognise that all volunteers are also participants.
- Personal attacks are not acceptable within session material
- To ensure that informed choices can be made, we ask presenters to provide biographies
Limmud’s Principles: Arguments for the Sake of Heaven
- Limmud does not participate in legitimizing or delegitimizing any religious or political position found in the worldwide Jewish community. Anyone who comes to Limmud events seeking opportunities for this will not find it.
- Limmud has no part to say in the debates between/across denominations. Limmud will programme its events in such a way as to avoid religious or political conflict. However we do recognize and appreciate that ‘arguments for the sake of heaven’ can make a positive contribution to furthering our education and understanding. Sessions should therefore be educational and not polemical.
Limmud’s Principles: Religious Observance
- Shabbat and kashrut are observed in all public areas. We recognise that in private areas people will behave as they wish.
- Should participants wish to hold a prayer group, they may do so providing they supply all resources and are responsible for the session or prayer group in its entirety.
Adapted from http://limmud.org/home/mission/
LimmudBoston is a happening, a Jewish learningfest of culture and identity. From storytelling, music and meditation to Torah and Talmud, LimmudBoston offers inspiration and education – engaging beginners and scholars alike.